"ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED" on Google Chrome

Hi all!
We’ve been experiencing an issue with the Pritunl VPN after enabling it for our users. Some end-users have reported encountering the “ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED” error specifically while using Google Chrome.

Here’s a brief overview of the situation:

After enabling Pritunl VPN, users started experiencing random “ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED” errors in the Chrome browser. We have around 20 - 30 users using VPN simultaniously

Initially, we had two servers in our setup. In an attempt to resolve the issue, we reduced it to only one server, but the problem still persists.
One user suggested disabling DNS on the client side, and it appears to have helped in their case.

We are reaching out to see if anyone else has encountered a similar issue or if there are additional suggestions to address this. Please share any insights or solutions that might help in resolving the “ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED” error for Chrome users.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

This was fixed in the latest v1.3.3785.81 release.

1 Like

I’ve seen this same symptom for years and on OpenVPN rather than WireGuard. I’m going to try swapping to WG to see if that resolves the problem.

I suspect I have some other process on MacOS that is changing my DNS and then Pritunl is changing it back but I don’t know how to discover what else might be changing the DNS settings.

This should be fixed in the newer releases. Verify the latest release is installed.

I’m still experiencing this issue in Pritunl Client v1.3.3814.40 on MacOS Sonoma 14.3.1

Check the service logs in the client for errors. This is available in the top right menu then under the log selection.

I guess, it happens at the same time, as [INFO] ▶ utils: Refresh DNS appears in the logs.

Verify that Enable DNS refresh is not enabled in advanced settings from the top right menu. There should be no sequence that would cause the DNS refresh in the latest release unless it is enabled. This should be disabled by default.

Thanks, @zach Indeed, it was turned on, and after switching it back to off, the problem never occurred.