Unable to connect using --auth-user-pass switch

Hi, Team.

I’m using latest version of pritunl client (1.3.3283.46) on Windows 10 x64 machine.
I’ve recently upgraded the version from 1.2.2732.2 and I can’t connect to the OpenVPN server.

The log says,

2022-09-09 14:38:13 Windows version 10.0 (Windows 10 or greater) 64bit/n
2022-09-09 14:38:13 library versions: OpenSSL 1.1.1n 15 Mar 2022, LZO 2.10/n
2022-09-09 14:38:13 ERROR: Auth username is empty/n
2022-09-09 14:38:13 Exiting due to fatal error/n
Enter Auth Username:Enter Auth Password:
/n

And here’s my profile configuration

persist-key
reneg-sec 0
auth-nocache
auth-user-pass C:/username.txt
verb 4
key-direction 1

The same profile still works fine with the older version of Pritunl client.
Also, when I try to connect using openvpn.exe file in the
“C:\Program Files (x86)\Pritunl\openvpn” using same profile, it works fine.

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Pritunl\openvpn” myprofile.ovpn

Is there any workaround to solve this problem?

Thanks.

The auth-user-pass and auth-nocache options are no longer supported. The newer versions of the client parse and filter the configuration in service/parser/ovpn.go

Thanks for the response.

Then how can I pass the username and password to connect to the VPN server? Is that authentication not supported anymore?

Thanks.

Username and password authentication should function on both the new and classic interface. There won’t be any support for saving passwords or providing password files.

Hello, I have similar problem, my config works fine with the Classic interface, asking for user and password, but with the new one, these prompts are skipped and I cannot connect to a vpn service.
Also, after importing a profile it shows “User -”. What can I do?

why not save passwords? It’s conducive. My password is very strong that I can remember it. I can imagine I can’t keep my pass in files.

Allowing an option that takes a file path to read significantly increases the risk of privilege escalation vulnerabilities. Most administrators don’t want the user to have the ability to save passwords. Also the only password used by Pritunl servers is for a Radius configuration, all other passwords are secondary authentication.

for our case, we use LDAP login vpn for access internal, but our LDAP rule password is very strong, I bet you will forget it some days. the same case in Chrome, they prove the password remember, the risk is bigger than pritunl. But user still have option. At least pritunl-client-electron personal member are most. this product should serve person I think.